With NZ having such harsh sun and high skin cancer rates, Bays North Harbour Parents Centre supports the idea of having more shade covers over kid's playgrounds. Many of us have signed this petition to the Auckland Council, and you can sign it here too.
Where Can you Currently Find Shade?
There is some shade to be found with the council already installing shade sails at a few (geographically diverse) parks:
- Kennedy Park, Castor Bay
- Lake Town Green, Jutland Rd, Hauraki
- Palm Beach, Waiheke
- Little Oneroa, Waiheke
- Olympic Park, New Lynn
- Madills Farm, Kohimarama (to be installed Feb-Apr)
- Sherwood Reserve in Browns Bay (shade sails still in the process of being erected as at 5 Feb 2016)
Parks with tree shade include:
- Malborough Park, Glenfield
- Coyle Park, Point Chevalier
- Sandpit Reserve, Waiuku
- Rose Gardens, cnr Lake Rd and Anzac St, Takapuna
- Mairangi Bay, Milford, Takapuna etc have some surrounding shade trees
Some of these are a bit of a hike for Bays parents, but are always an option if you feel like an adventure!
Do you know of more North Shore parks that are good for shade? Let us know by commenting below, emailing us or commenting on our Facebook page so we can add them to the list!